Sunday, February 8, 2009

Yi Ling's Food Meme

1.       If you had the chance to choose your last meal, what, where, with whom would it be?

I would want to have my ahma’s (grandma) fried rice, chicken soup and pork chop; with my entire family

2.       What would your favourite food/kind of food be, and why?

I especially love Chinese cuisine because of the way in which the food is typically presented and consumed – the different dishes are served in separate plates or bowls, and the consumption thereof is meant to be a communal affair – there is great value in having separate containment of different foods because the unique taste of each is then better preserved and appreciated; I also believe there to be greater enjoyment of food when one has great company on top of great food.

Essentially, my love for the Chinese cuisine can be surmised as an appreciation for the Chinese food culture– one which both enhances the culinary quality of meals and more importantly, its enjoyment.

3.       What is your best food smell memory?

My best food smell memory is strictly the best memory of a food smell I have - it did not extend its value beyond merely a strong etch in my memory.

My family and I were on a trip to Hong Kong for a family holiday. As typical Singaporeans we decided to shop our nights away.

One memorable night as we were traversing the streets of Tsim Sha Tsui, we began to detect a faint malodorous whiff – a smell rudely suggestive that someone had farted. Being the polite, peace-loving people we were, each of us privately decided to ignore it and hastened our footsteps in a bid to escape the “zone of foul-smelling air.” Alas! The terrible smell only got stronger until my brother broke the silence with a “Who farted?”

Immediately, the it-wasn’t-me-who-farted business of denial commenced with great vivacity as the stench grew steadily stronger.

We found out in due time that the smell was in fact emanating from the pots of smelly doufu which stood shamelessly on roadside hawker pushcarts – an entire “army” of smelly doufu salesmen whom we were unsuspectingly walking towards.

The affair ended as quickly as it begun as we broke into a brisk-walk to get out of “smelly smelly doufu zone.” Needless to stay of course, my introduction to smelly doufu was a case of smell-and-run.

4.       Who is your favourite TV chef?

Nigella Lucy Lawson. Good food, great personality.

5.       If you were on a deserted island, what 1 food would you have with you?

Chocolate sprinkles – goes well with anything.

6.       What is okra, and can you name a dish it is used in?

“Okra” is a word of West-African origin - another name for ladyfinger. Found in Tempura!!

7.       What food can you absolutely not stand to eat/ not eat?

I would likely never come close (literally) to trying smelly doufu.

8.       What is Dulce de leche/ what does Dulce de leche sound like? (no checking internet please)

Sweet and nice? I do know Dulce means sweet in Latin.

9.       What is your cookie of choice?

My own family recipe of cornflake-butter cookies!

10.   What is your signature dish?

Longevity noodles

 

No comments: